• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Entertainment Sports

Ronnie O’Sullivan concerns raised as theory on Crucible prize money emerges

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Sports
Ronnie O’Sullivan concerns raised as theory on Crucible prize money emerges
0
SHARES
4
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Fellow ‘Class of 92’ member Mark Williams has given his verdict on Ronnie O’Sullivan’s participation at the World Snooker Championship after the Rocket’s troubled season

There are fears Ronnie O’Sullivan won’t play at the World Championship(Image: Getty)

Mark Williams doubts the carrot of £500,000 top prize will be enough to motivate Ronnie O’Sullivan to grace the World Snooker Championship. The seven-time world champion hasn’t played competitively since smashing his cue in anger at the low-key Championship League in January.

The 49-year-old then pulled out of the Masters, where he had been due to defend his title, and was criticised by fans for his late withdrawal from the Welsh Open. That prompted a public apology from the Essex potter.

While he has been named on the official entry list, it is unclear whether he will play at the Crucible. Old rival Williams, the three-time world champion, suspects O’Sullivan won’t play in Sheffield.

“Look, I don’t know what the situation is, but if I were to have a guess now, I’d probably say he’s not going to play. I don’t know, I’m just guessing,” Williams, who recently turned 50, told the Metro.

Williams doesn’t believe O’Sullivan will be motivated by the prospect of going ahead of Stephen Hendry on eight world titles and the huge top prize at the Crucible. He added: “He’s pulled out of the last tournaments, so obviously he’s not ready or doesn’t want to play.

“And he’s not going to play in the Worlds for £500,000 to the winner or to take over Hendry’s mantle. I don’t really think he’s worried about that stuff.

Ronnie O'Sullivan
O’Sullivan isn’t motivated by the prospect of an eighth world title, says Mark Williams(Image: Getty)

“I know you boys [the media] put it on him that he wants to be past Hendry on eight world titles, but I honestly don’t think he’s worried about stuff like that.”

O’Sullivan’s inactivity meant he didn’t qualify for the recent Players Championship or the Tour Championship in Manchester, which begins on Monday. Williams, who beat the Rocket in last year’s final, will begin his Tour Championship title defence against Ding Junhui.

The Welsh Potting Machine will use contact lenses due to his deteriorating eyesight. Speaking ahead of the tournament, Williams said: “I’m just taking it a few days at a time. I’m going to stick with these contacts now for the Tour Championship.

Mark Williams in action at the Players Championship
Williams is preparing to begin his defence of the Tour Championship(Image: Malcolm Couzens/Getty Images)

“I don’t know how they’re going to react with the lights, I’m hoping they won’t be too much of a problem. If I’m playing OK with them, I’ll keep them in for the World Championship and see where I go after there.

“The contacts are helping out at the minute. They hurt when they’re in but I might just get used to them. It can’t get any worse than the Players because I couldn’t see much.”



Source link

Tags: ConcernsCrucibleDing JunhuiEmergesMark WilliamsMoneyOSullivanPrizeRaisedRonnieRonnie O'SullivanSnooker World ChampionshipStephen HendryTheory
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
4 China state banks plan 520b yuan placements to add capital

4 China state banks plan 520b yuan placements to add capital

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Olam raises bid for Australia’s Namoi Cotton to Aalt=

Olam raises bid for Australia’s Namoi Cotton to A$0.75 a share

1 year ago
PwC weighs halving of China financial services audit staff, say sources

PwC weighs halving of China financial services audit staff, say sources

2 years ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2026 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In