• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, November 30, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

US Firm Says Mexican Authorities Illegally Seized Its Port Terminal

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Politics
US Firm Says Mexican Authorities Illegally Seized Its Port Terminal
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


A sign reading “Closure” hangs on a fence at the entrance of the limestone mining by Vulcan Materials in Calica, in Quintana Roo state, Mexico May 6, 2022. Mexico’s government on Friday ordered a halt to Vulcan Materials, a producer of gravel and crushed stone, citing environmental concerns and provoking the U.
Reuters

U.S. construction materials firm Vulcan Materials Co said on Monday that Mexican security forces illegally took possession last week of its port terminal in southern Mexico, as an extended legal battle over its nearby limestone mining activities plays out.

The incident took place last Tuesday night at the terminal in the popular tourist hub of Playa del Carmen, and follows a five-year fight with the government over Vulcan’s concessions punctuated by sharp criticism from the country’s president last year.

Vulcan, which markets crushed stone as well as asphalt and ready-mixed concrete, said in a statement on Sunday that workers from Mexican cement company Cemex accompanied the security forces last week as part of the takeover of their port terminal.

“We are shocked in Cemex and in the Mexican government entities that supported this reckless and reprehensible armed seizure of our private property,” Vulcan said in the statement.

Vulcan declined to say how last week’s action was illegal or who currently controls the terminal.

The company also contends that a decision by the government last year to shut down its operations was illegal.

Cemex on Monday defended its actions last week, saying they were backed by a local court and a recent order from state prosecutors.

Cemex in a statement referred to its contract with a local Vulcan unit dating back two decades which it said allows it to use the terminal.

The company added that an order from prosecutors granted it access to the port terminal premises, and that on March 14 authorities enforced it. This, Cemex said, followed what the company described as months of failed negotiations with the Vulcan unit.

Mexico’s security ministry did not reply to a request for comment.

The Alabama-based firm has been unable to quarry and ship construction materials since the Mexican government shut down its operations last May over concerns of harmful impacts of underwater limestone mining on the local environment and water table.

At the time, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador criticized the impacts as an “ecological catastrophe.”

Video footage shared on Fox News, which Vulcan confirmed, showed around a dozen security officers entering the site in police trucks last week, as well as a Cemex-branded pickup truck.



Source link

Tags: AuthoritiesFirmIllegallyMexicanPortSeizedTerminal
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Hardline US Republicans Oppose Bank Deposit Guarantees Beyond 0,000 Limit

Hardline US Republicans Oppose Bank Deposit Guarantees Beyond $250,000 Limit

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Vanderpump Rules’ Katie Maloney Shares Her “Numbness” In Heartbreaking Message After Death of Her Father – E! Online

Vanderpump Rules’ Katie Maloney Shares Her “Numbness” In Heartbreaking Message After Death of Her Father – E! Online

11 months ago
Rahul Gandhi To Begin No-Trust Debate Today, 5 Ministers On Centre’s List

Rahul Gandhi To Begin No-Trust Debate Today, 5 Ministers On Centre’s List

2 years ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In