• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Senegal Court Rejects Opposition Leader’s Presidential Bid

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Politics
Senegal Court Rejects Opposition Leader’s Presidential Bid
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Senegal’s Constitutional Council on Friday rejected the candidacy of jailed opposition leader Ousmane Sonko to run in next month’s presidential vote, his lawyer said.

The 49-year-old Sonko, who came third in the 2019 presidential election, has been at the centre of a bitter stand-off with the state that has lasted more than two years and sparked often deadly unrest.

Sonko’s lawyer, Cire Cledor Ly, said the candidacy had been rejected on the grounds that the application was incomplete.

“When we entered, (Council) President Badio Camara immediately notified us that (Sonko’s) file was incomplete,” he said.

More than 90 candidates have put their names forward to the Constitutional Council, which is due to announce the list of presidential contenders on January 20.

President Macky Sall in July announced that he would not seek a third term in the February 25 poll, handpicking his prime minister, Amadou Ba, as his coalition’s presidential candidate.

Sonko had in December filed his candidacy with the Constitutional Council, despite the state’s refusal to provide him the necessary documents to run.

They argued that Sonko had been removed from the electoral register after being sentenced in June to two years’ imprisonment for morally corrupting a young person.

Sonko’s lawyers had said they would file his presidential candidacy anyway.

On Friday, Ly said the Constitutional Council president told him that “the files, the accompanying letters and the attached documents were received and checked by the commission which concluded that one document was missing and that the candidacy file was incomplete”.

Sonko’s lawyer denounced the Council’s decision as an “electoral farce” and suggested he would lodge “the appeals provided for by law”.

“The commission’s composition was irregular because the law stipulates that this verification must be carried out in the presence of the candidate or the proxy,” he said.

“There is a desire to move towards elections which from the outset lack transparency and which in any case will not reflect the will of the nation”.

Sonko’s party television said the file was incomplete because it lacked a certificate from the CDC deposit bank, where a cheque for 30 million CFA francs (nearly $50,000) must be deposited in order to run in the presidential election.

A day earlier, the opposition figure’s chances of running for president had been thrown into jeopardy after Senegal’s Supreme Court upheld a six-month suspended sentence handed to him for defamation.

Sonko’s camp had maintained he still had the right to run in the election since a judge in December ordered that he be reinstated on the electoral roll.

The firebrand figurehead has been jailed since the end of July on other charges, including calling for insurrection, conspiracy with terrorist groups and endangering state security.

He has generated a passionate following among Senegal’s disaffected youth, striking a chord with his pan-Africanist rhetoric and tough stance on former colonial power France.



Source link

Tags: BidCourtLeadersOppositionPresidentialRejectsSenegal
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
“We Closed Window Of Vulnerability”: S Jaishankar On Article 370 Abrogation

"We Closed Window Of Vulnerability": S Jaishankar On Article 370 Abrogation

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Sean Kingston Sentenced to Prison in Wire Fraud Case

Sean Kingston Sentenced to Prison in Wire Fraud Case

2 weeks ago
Apple launches new, more powerful versions of MacBook Pro

Apple launches new, more powerful versions of MacBook Pro

10 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In