• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton savagely attacked in prison, clinging to life

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Health
B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton savagely attacked in prison, clinging to life
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Breadcrumb Trail Links

  1. News
  2. Canada

Pickton was speared in the head with a broken broom-like handle, a source told Postmedia

Published May 20, 2024  •  Last updated 1 hour ago  •  3 minute read

You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.

Robert Pickton Photo by BCTV /Vancouver Sun

Article content

Notorious B.C. serial killer Robert (Willie) Pickton was on life support Monday after a brutal attack by another prisoner in Quebec’s maximum Port-Cartier Institution.

Pickton was airlifted to hospital after the assault, which sources say took place just before 2 p.m. local time on Sunday, May 19.

Article content

One source said the attacker had earlier assaulted other inmates at the prison before being moved to segregation. The attack on Pickton allegedly happened after the prisoner was then released back onto the same unit as the serial killer, Postmedia has learned.

Advertisement 2

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

National Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay, Rex Murphy and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay, Rex Murphy and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

Don’t have an account? Create Account

or

Article content

Pickton was speared in the head with a broken broom-like handle, another source said.

The Correctional Service Canada confirmed to Postmedia late Monday that Pickton was the victim of a “major assault.” But they wouldn’t comment on his medical condition. In an earlier news release, the CSC said “the Sûreté du Québec is presently investigating the incident. The assailant has been identified and the appropriate actions have been taken.”

No one at the Port-Cartier Institution would comment Monday.

“We don’t have somebody who can speak with you,” the person answering the phone at the high-security prison said. “Call tomorrow and somebody will speak with you.”

When contacted by phone and asked about whether his client had been attacked in prison and was now in hospital with a serious brain injury, Pickton’s lawyer Ian Runkle said Monday: “I don’t have anything I can say at this point. That may change, but nothing I can pass along at this point.”

Port-Cartier Institution is located approximately 600 kilometres from Québec city.
Port-Cartier Institution is located approximately 600 kilometres from Quebec City.

Sources said Pickton had been taken to Hospital of the Child Jesus in Quebec City. Postmedia called the hospital and asked specifically about Pickton’s condition.

Posted

NP Posted

Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Thanks for signing up!

A welcome email is on its way. If you don’t see it, please check your junk folder.

The next issue of NP Posted will soon be in your inbox.

We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try again

Article content

Advertisement 3

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

An official in admissions said they had “nothing to share at this time due to confidentiality.”

Pickton told other inmates that he was writing a book blaming the murders of women, for which he was convicted, on someone else.

Port-Cartier Institution holds 237 men and is just north of the St. Lawrence River and about 600 kilometres from Québec City.

Pickton, now 74, was convicted by a jury of murdering six women — Sereena Abotsway, Mona Wilson, Andrea Joesbury, Brenda Ann Wolfe, Georgina Papin and Marnie Frey — at his 2007 B.C. Supreme Court trial.

But he was also charged with killing 21 more women. Those counts were eventually stayed and never heard at trial.

On top of those cases, the DNA of another six women was found on Pickton’s Port Coquitlam farm, but no additional charges were ever laid.

The former pig farmer once bragged to an undercover officer in his jail cell that he killed 49 women. More than 60 women had vanished from Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside before Pickton’s arrest in February 2002.

Lorimer Shenher, a writer and former lead Vancouver Police detective on the missing women investigation, said Monday that he had got word of the weekend attack on Pickton.

Advertisement 4

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

“Obviously, Mr. Pickton has caused a lot of pain for many people. Unfortunately, all an attack like this serves to do is further thwart the truth of this case from being told so that all the remaining perpetrators could be brought to justice,” Shenher said. “It’s been an open secret for more than 20 years that these murders were not committed solely by the hands of Robert Pickton.”

In recent months, families of his victims and advocates for other missing women have spoken out against a B.C. Supreme Court application made by the RCMP to destroy more than 14,000 exhibits seized from Pickton’s property during the lengthy investigation.

The critics said that destroying the exhibits might impact future investigations, especially if there continue to be advances in forensic technology that have already led to resolutions in decades-old cold cases.

The RCMP insists the evidence no longer has any investigative value. The force said a small number of the 14,000 items, which range from clothing to furniture, belonged to missing women, and will be returned to their families. The application is set to be heard next month.

Advertisement 5

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Pickton was eligible for day parole in February, prompting outrage from victims’ relatives and several politicians who said he should never be released.

kbolan@postmedia.com

lculbert@postmedia.com

x.com/kbolan

x.com/loriculbert

Recommended from Editorial

Article content

Share this article in your social network



Source link

Tags: AttackedB.CclingingKillerLifePicktonPrisonRobertsavagelySerial
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
After “Slip Of Tongue”, Sambit Patra’s “Upvaas” Vow As Atonement

After "Slip Of Tongue", Sambit Patra's "Upvaas" Vow As Atonement

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Cricketer Prithvi Shaw vs “Fans”: Selfie Fight, Baseball Bat Attack

Cricketer Prithvi Shaw vs “Fans”: Selfie Fight, Baseball Bat Attack

3 years ago
At G7 Summit, PM And Pope Share Warm Embrace, Then An India Invite

At G7 Summit, PM And Pope Share Warm Embrace, Then An India Invite

1 year ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In