• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Friday, February 20, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Canadian military’s ability to battle forest fires will be limited this year, top general warns

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Health
Canadian military’s ability to battle forest fires will be limited this year, top general warns
0
SHARES
5
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Breadcrumb Trail Links

  1. News
  2. Canada

Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Wayne Eyre called the use of military personnel in fighting wildfires in Canada, in some instances, ‘wickedly wasteful,’

Published May 27, 2024  •  Last updated 7 hours ago  •  3 minute read

You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.

Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Wayne Eyre Photo by Ashley Fraser /POSTMEDIA

Article content

The Canadian military’s ability to help battle forest fires will be limited this year because of reduced readiness and the need to send troops to Latvia, warns the country’s top general.

Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Wayne Eyre also complained that the use of military personnel in fighting wildfires in Canada has become, in some cases, “wickedly wasteful.”

Advertisement 2

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

National Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay, Rex Murphy and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay, Rex Murphy and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

Don’t have an account? Create Account

or

Article content

Article content

“I made it quite clear to other departments that our capacity to do what we did last year is not the same, especially with reduced readiness (and), increased deployments to Latvia,” Eyre told senior officers during an April 23 video conference. “We’re not going to have the same forces available…for the scale and duration of response.”

Eyre’s comments were made during a virtual town hall for military leaders to discuss the Liberal government’s updated defence policy.

National Defence declined a request from this newspaper to release the video, noting it was for internal use only. But a copy was leaked to this newspaper by military staff.

Canada plans to deploy up to 2,200 troops to Latvia as part of its NATO commitment. It currently has around 1,000 in that country.

Eyre said during the town hall video that he expects the military to be increasingly called out to help Canadians because of natural disasters that have grown in frequency and intensity.

But he believes the military should only be used in such instances as a last resort. He pointed out that disaster response capability has to be increased in other levels of government.

Posted

NP Posted

Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Thanks for signing up!

A welcome email is on its way. If you don’t see it, please check your junk folder.

The next issue of NP Posted will soon be in your inbox.

We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try again

Article content

Advertisement 3

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Eyre also noted the Canadian Forces leadership is pushing back against natural disaster deployments. “We are being called in way too early in many of these cases,” he explained. “We take a look at last year with (our) response to wildfires — 131 days straight we were out there. Twenty-five per cent of our person-days were unemployed or under-employed. This is wickedly wasteful. So we are pushing back hard.”

There were a record number of wildfires last year in Canada, with one of the blazes prompting Canada’s first-ever evacuation of an entire capital city — Yellowknife. Smoke from the fires impacted air quality not only nationally, but in the United States as well. Federal officials have warned Canadians to prepare for another record-breaking season when it comes to wildfires.

Eyre said the military is also pressing to recover the costs it had to absorb because of the requests to provide support during natural disasters.

“We are pushing for cost recovery or cost avoidance in the first place,” he explained. “Because we are spending millions of dollars on this that can be better used in other places.”

Advertisement 4

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Eyre said the military wants the provinces to pay for the use of the Canadian Forces but he admitted that is “much easier said than done given the political environment.”

As deployments for natural disasters increase because of climate change, the military leadership has expressed reluctance to have troops on the front lines of efforts to help fellow Canadians. Generals, including Eyre, have argued that such domestic deployments hinder training needed for overseas missions or combat readiness training to deal with potential wars.

But provincial officials have argued the military brings unique capabilities and organizational skills to co-ordinate disaster relief as well as a large number of personnel that can be quickly mobilized.

Defence Minister Bill Blair, in an interview with the Canadian Press news service last year, acknowledged the military leadership is concerned about taking part in disaster relief missions at home.

But he said Canadians want to see the military come to their aid during natural disasters. He noted the armed forces will remain a key part of the government’s response to such incidents. “There is just something, I think, incredibly reassuring to Canadians when the Canadian Armed Forces show up and men and women in uniform are out in their communities and they’re sandbagging and helping people evacuate and get to safety,” Blair added.

Advertisement 5

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Despite his reluctance to commit military personnel to helping on the frontlines of domestic emergencies, Eyre acknowledged in his town hall video that climate change is prompting long-term security threats to Canada.

With files from The National Post and The Canadian Press

Our website is your destination for up-to-the-minute news, so make sure to bookmark our homepage and sign up for our newsletters so we can keep you informed.

Recommended from Editorial

Article content

Share this article in your social network



Source link

Tags: AbilityBattleCanadianFiresForestGeneralLimitedmilitarysTopWarnsYear
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Tough Fight, No Sweep, Victory At A Cost: NDTV Scans Battleground

Tough Fight, No Sweep, Victory At A Cost: NDTV Scans Battleground

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Dax Shepard Addresses Cher’s Viral Comments About Marriage With Kristen Bell

Dax Shepard Addresses Cher’s Viral Comments About Marriage With Kristen Bell

1 month ago
Man Utd transfer news: Paul Pogba has 'several options' as Ruben Amorim gets first signing

Man Utd transfer news: Paul Pogba has 'several options' as Ruben Amorim gets first signing

1 year ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2026 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2026 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In