• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Kingston mayor wants safe injection site shut down after two killed, one seriously injured in attacks

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Health
Kingston mayor wants safe injection site shut down after two killed, one seriously injured in attacks
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Breadcrumb Trail Links

  1. News
  2. Canada

‘We as a city have been talking about the dangers of this encampment in and around the safe injection site for almost three years,’ Mayor Bryan Paterson said

Published Sep 12, 2024  •  Last updated 3 hours ago  •  4 minute read

You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.

A Kingston Police barricade following attacks at and near a homeless encampment on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024. Photo by Elliot Ferguson/The Kingston Whig-Standard/Postmedia

Article content

Two people have died and one is in serious condition after a violent incident near Montreal Street’s encampment and Integrated Care Hub Thursday morning.

Kingston Police’s Const. Anthony Colangeli said emergency services were called to the area at about 10:30 a.m., where a single man had attacked three people. Colangeli said earlier in the day that the victims’ injuries were life-threatening, and they were rushed to Kingston General Hospital.

“(The injuries) are consistent with injuries one would receive from an edged weapon and a blunt object,” Colangeli said.

Matt Mills, spokesperson for Frontenac Paramedics, confirmed their crews treated one woman and two men at the scene and transported them to the hospital in critical condition.

In a statement posted on social media, Mayor Bryan Paterson confirmed two of the victims had died.

Police cornered the man and his dog in a vacant lot on the west side of Montreal Street, just north of Quattrocchi’s Specialty Foods, before starting to negotiate with him. During the discussion, police convinced the man to send his dog out to officers. Police negotiated with the man for more than six hours before taking him into custody at about 4:55 p.m.

Montreal Street has been closed between Hickson Avenue and Railway Street and residents were asked to avoid the area. Colangeli expected Montreal Street to be closed for an extended period.

Advertisement 2

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

National Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

Don’t have an account? Create Account

or

Article content

Access to the encampment was blocked off. A Kingston Transit bus was brought into the area to provide shelter.

Staff at the Integrated Care Hub locked down their building. Ted Robinson, Board chair of Trellis HIV and Community Care which operates the hub, said its staff were some of the first to respond and give first aid to the victims.

“They just did everything they could to support the people who were injured and the people who saw what was going on,” Robinson said.

He said their priority now is keeping their staff and those they serve as safe as possible.

“It appears the ICH staff is doing a great job supporting their folks, from a police aspect right now, our focus is on ending this peacefully, then we can shift focus on to the victims and the community as a whole,” Colangeli said.

Colangeli said police are examining two to three different scenes where the attacks took place. Hub staff said two of the scenes were within the encampment, while a resident in the area witnessed one attack on Montreal Street where blood has stained the pavement.

In a photo provided to the Whig-Standard, one of the victims is seen lying on the eastern sidewalk of Montreal Street with Kingston Police and another woman providing first aid. A hammer with a black handle is on the ground next to her.

Posted

NP Posted

Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Thanks for signing up!

A welcome email is on its way. If you don’t see it, please check your junk folder.

The next issue of NP Posted will soon be in your inbox.

We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try again

Article content

Advertisement 3

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

A hammer lying on the eastern sidewalk of Montreal Street next to a woman being treated by Kingston Police and staff from the Integrated Care Hub after being struck in the head during an attack in Kingston, Ont., on Thursday, September 12, 2024.
A hammer lying on the eastern sidewalk of Montreal Street next to a woman being treated by Kingston Police and staff from the Integrated Care Hub after being struck in the head during an attack in Kingston, on Thursday, September 12, 2024. Supplied

Linda McGinness, who lives north of the Integrated Care Hub, said that at about 10:44 a.m., she heard a commotion and scream outside her front door. Looking out she saw a woman who had been riding a push scooter had been struck in the head with a hammer. She was screaming and bleeding profusely before being given medical attention.

A man with a dog was across the street yelling at her.

“He kept saying, ‘I’m sick of these people,’” McGinness said.

In a video provided to the Whig-Standard, another witness is heard yelling at the man, “You hit her with a hammer!”

Staff from the Integrate Care Hub ran over to help the woman as McGinness filmed the man before he ran into the bush across the street, she said.

“We never want to see this happen, but our goal right now is just to end this as peacefully as possible,” Colangeli said. He added later that he appreciates it is a very upsetting incident, and one nobody wants to see in their community.

A Kingston Police officer walks through the encampment off Montreal Street in Kingston, Ont., on Thursday, September 12, 2024 after two people were killed and another seriously injured.
A Kingston Police officer walks through the encampment off Montreal Street in Kingston, Ont., on Thursday, September 12, 2024 after two people were killed and another seriously injured. Photo by Elliot Ferguson /The Whig-Standard

“It’s an awful day,” Robinson said. “Our staff is feeling this quite intensely.”

He said the staff at the Integrated Care Hub has undoubtedly been traumatized by what they’ve witnessed, but that the incident is isolated.

Advertisement 4

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

“I just hope that people will not rush to any sort of judgment,” Robinson said. “We know what has been going on provincially, as far as places like the Integrated Care Hub, that have consumption treatment sites and that are centres for people who use substances, who are unhoused, and I just hope that people won’t rush to judgement, (assuming) that this horrible situation, is a reflection of that situation. Because that’s a much bigger, provincial, social, societal issue, and this is completely separate from that in my mind.”

Mayor Paterson did not seem to see it the same way, calling for the Integrated Care Hub and the safe injection site to close immediately.

“I am absolutely horrified by the situation unfolding — this is an utterly senseless act of violence,” Paterson, who is also a member of the Kingston Police Services Board, said.

“It is no longer safe for people to use (Consumption and Treatment Services) and we need to respond,” Paterson said. “We as a city have been talking about the dangers of this encampment in and around the safe injection site for almost three years. There are community partners and advocates who have fought the city on every attempt we’ve made to clear this encampment and ensure public safety for those living there. I will not stand by and wait until more people die —enough is enough.

“We need to clear the encampment, close this safe injection site and the (Integrated Care Hub) until we can find a better way to support our most vulnerable residents and work with the province to provide treatment and housing solutions.”

Robinson said Paterson’s response was what he feared.

“I hope leaders in our community will be as cautious in what they say and not advocate for things that will greater harm,” he said.

scrosier@postmedia.com

—with files from Elliot Ferguson, The Whig-Standard

Kingston Police in the midst of negoitating with a man in Kingston, Ont., on Thursday, September 12, 2024. Police said three people had been attack and rushed to hospital in serious condition.
Kingston Police in the midst of negotiating with a man in Kingston, on Thursday, September 12, 2024. Police said three people had been attacked and rushed to hospital in serious condition. Photo by Supplied photo
A Kingston Police barricade on Montreal Street Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024. Kingston Police responded to an incident near the Integrated Care Hub and encampment on Montreal Street. Elliot Ferguson/The Kingston Whig-Standard
A Kingston Police barricade on Montreal Street, Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024. Kingston Police responded to an incident near the Integrated Care Hub and encampment on Montreal Street. Photo by Elliot Ferguson
Kingston Police officers set up in a wooded area as they respond to an incident near the Integrated Care Hub on Montreal Street. Elliot Ferguson/The Kingston Whig-Standard
Kingston Police officers set up in a wooded area as they respond to an incident near the Integrated Care Hub on Montreal Street. Photo by Elliot Ferguson /The Whig-Standard
Kingston Police encampment
Kingston Police officers set up in a wooded area as they respond to an incident near the Integrated Care Hub on Montreal Street on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024. Elliot Ferguson/The Kingston Whig-Standard

Article content

Share this article in your social network



Source link

Tags: AttacksInjectionInjuredKilledKingstonMayorSafeShutSite
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Watch: S Jaishankar’s G7 Googly When Questioned In Europe About BRICS

Watch: S Jaishankar's G7 Googly When Questioned In Europe About BRICS

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

AFCON final – Free TV channel and live stream details for Senegal vs Morocco

AFCON final – Free TV channel and live stream details for Senegal vs Morocco

1 month ago
Anthropologie Surprise Holiday Sale: Score an Extra 40% off End of Season Gifts, Starting at  – E! Online

Anthropologie Surprise Holiday Sale: Score an Extra 40% off End of Season Gifts, Starting at $5 – E! Online

1 year ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2026 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In