• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Technology

Microsoft cutting more jobs from its gaming unit

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Technology
Microsoft cutting more jobs from its gaming unit
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

[ad_1]

MICROSOFT cutting about 650 more positions from its gaming unit as it continues to tighten its belt following the blockbuster buyout of Call of Duty maker Activision Blizzard.

The elimination of mostly corporate and support roles across Microsoft Gaming is intended to “organise our business for long-term success” in the aftermath of the US$69 billion acquisition, unit chief Phil Spencer told employees in a memo viewed by AFP.

“Today is one of the challenging days,” Spencer said in the memo. “I know that going through more changes like this is hard.”

The Communications Workers of America (CWA) labour union, which includes members in the video game industry, called the layoffs “extremely disappointing,” coming on the heels of Sony Interactive Entertainment subsidiary Bungie announcing 220 layoffs in July.

“Heartless layoffs like these have become all too common,” World of Warcraft senior producer and CWA member Samuel Cooper said in a release by the labour organisers.

Microsoft in January said it was laying off 1,900 people, or eight per cent of staff, from its gaming division as it consolidated the buyout of Activision Blizzard.

BT in your inbox
Newsletter Img

Start and end each day with the latest news stories and analyses delivered straight to your inbox.

Spencer told employees at the time that Microsoft and Activision were committed to finding a “sustainable cost structure” to grow the gaming business, which employed 22,000 people and includes the Xbox division.

“Together, we’ve set priorities, identified areas of overlap, and ensured that we’re all aligned on the best opportunities for growth,” he added in a memo at the time.

Microsoft launched its takeover in January 2022, an acquisition that made it the world’s third-largest gaming company by revenue.

No games or devices are being cancelled, nor are any studios being closed as part of the “adjustments” made at Microsoft’s gaming unit on Thursday, according to Spencer.

Layoffs have become common in the video game industry, with Sony PlayStation early this year announcing it was laying off eight per cent of its global workforce.

Calling it “sad news,” PlayStation chief Jim Ryan said that the reduction would affect 900 people across the globe, including video game-making studios.

The company’s PlayStation London studio, which was founded in 2002 and specialised in virtual reality gaming projects, was being closed in its entirety, the company said.

In all, last year the tech industry lost some 260,000 jobs according to layoffs.fyi, a California-based website that tracks the sector.

So far this year, layoffs are at 136,360, the site showed, from 435 tech companies. AFP

[ad_2]

Source link

Tags: CuttingGamingJobsMicrosoftUnit
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
US FAA head to testify before Senate panel on Boeing oversight

US FAA head to testify before Senate panel on Boeing oversight

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

‘I know what Man Utd stars will be thinking about Ruben Amorim’s substitutions’

‘I know what Man Utd stars will be thinking about Ruben Amorim’s substitutions’

2 months ago
Man City issue bleak Erling Haaland injury update on ankle issue sustained at Bournemouth

Man City issue bleak Erling Haaland injury update on ankle issue sustained at Bournemouth

11 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2026 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In