• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

“Too Much Immigration”: Canada Slashes Immigrant Intake Amid Public Worry

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Business
“Too Much Immigration”: Canada Slashes Immigrant Intake Amid Public Worry
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter




Ottawa:

Canada said Thursday it was significantly curbing immigration targets, a dramatic shift that comes as public support for new arrivals declines.

This marks a big pivot for a country with a long-standing reputation as a destination for immigrants, including economic migrants from the developing world seeking better living conditions.

Canada’s population jumped 3.2 percent from 2023 to 2024, the biggest annual rise since 1957, and now stands at 41 million, the national statistic agency said.

It said the rise was partly fuelled by an unprecedented wave of new arrivals.

Announcing the curbs, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the influx helped the Canadian economy bounce back from disruptions caused by the Covid pandemic but the time had come to make “adjustments.”

“Today, we’re announcing that we will reduce the number of immigrants we bring in over the next three years, which will result in a pause in the population growth over the next two years,” Trudeau said.

Trudeau said Canada needed to stabilize its population to give “all levels of government time to catch up, time to make the necessary investments in health care, in housing, (and) in social services to accommodate more people in the future.”

The immigration ministry had previously planned to let 500,000 new permanent residents settle in the country in 2025 and 2026.

But the new targets were revised down to 395,000 next year and 380,000 for 2026. It set the 2027 target at 365,000.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller called the plan “probably the first of its kind,” in terms of its broad efforts to control population growth in Canada.

According to the last census in 2021, 23 percent of the population was foreign-born.

Statistic Canada said that as of 2021 most immigrants were from Asia and the Middle East, but an increasing share were coming from Africa.  

Nearly one of five recent immigrants were born in India, the statistics agency said.

ANTI-IMMIGRANT SENTIMENT?

A survey last month from the Environics Institute on public attitudes toward immigration found that “for the first time in a quarter century, a clear majority of Canadians say there is too much immigration.”

Fifty-eight percent of Canadians believe the country takes in too many immigrants, up 14 percentage points from 2023, the survey found.

In figures released last week, Abacus Data found that one of every two Canadians say immigration is harming the country.

The Abacus figures also noted that concern among Canadians about the impact of immigration is mostly linked to unease regarding a perceived lack of essential resources, notably affordable housing.

Miller in particular stressed the new plans efforts to address what many Canadians refer to as a housing crisis.

He predicted that revising immigration targets downwards will address the housing supply gap, reducing by 670,000 the number of homes Canada needs to build by 2027.

“That is significant,” Miller told reporters.
 

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)




Source link

Tags: Canadacanada immigrationCanada Immigration RulesCanada Reduces ImmigrationImmigrantImmigrationIntakePublicSlashesWorry
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Congress Announces First List of 45 Candidates For Maharashtra Election

Congress Announces First List of 45 Candidates For Maharashtra Election

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Travis Kelce Teases Future Date Night Plans With Taylor Swift – E! Online

Travis Kelce Teases Future Date Night Plans With Taylor Swift – E! Online

11 months ago
Kelly Clarkson’s Return Date to The Voice Revealed—And It’ll Introduce Major Format Change

Kelly Clarkson’s Return Date to The Voice Revealed—And It’ll Introduce Major Format Change

3 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2026 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In