• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Champagne orders TikTok Canada to close over ‘national security risks’

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Health
Champagne orders TikTok Canada to close over ‘national security risks’
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Article content

OTTAWA – The federal government has ordered the dissolution of TikTok’s Canadian arm citing security concerns, a move it says won’t affect Canadians’ access to the viral video app security agencies say can be used by China to spy on users.

In a statement Wednesday, Innovation Minister François-Philippe Champagne announced that the government had issued an order to TikTok Technology Canada to “wind up” its business in light of the “national security risks” linked to the app and its Chinese parent company, ByteDance.

Article content

In response, company spokesperson Danielle Morgan said the firm planned on fighting the decision in court.

“Shutting down TikTok’s Canadian offices and destroying hundreds of well-paying local jobs is not in anyone’s best interest, and today’s shutdown order will do just that. We will challenge this order in court. The TikTok platform will remain available for creators to find an audience, explore new interests and for businesses to thrive,” Morgan said in a written statement.

Champagne said the decision was based on “information and evidence” amassed by the government during a national security review launched last year, as well as advice from the Canadian security and intelligence community.

TikTok Technology Canada is mostly charged with sales and marketing of the app and has no role in its distribution.

Recommended from Editorial

Despite those risks, the minister noted that Canadians will still be able to access the app after TikTok Technology Canada is dissolved.

Article content

“The government is not blocking Canadians’ access to the TikTok application or their ability to create content. The decision to use a social media application or platform is a personal choice,” Champagne said.

“It is important for Canadians to adopt good cyber security practices and assess the possible risks of using social media platforms and applications, including how their information is likely to be protected, managed, used and shared by foreign actors.”

The wildly popular video app has long been suspected by the U.S. government, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) and numerous cybersecurity experts of offering the Chinese government a backdoor to users’ data.

The app’s owner, ByteDance, is based in China and beholden to strict Chinese national security laws that would compel it to provide data to the government if required. The company has said that foreign user data is not stored in China.

The application was banned from federal government devices in February 2023.

A CSIS document tabled at the Public Inquiry into Foreign Interference in September reveals the spy agency already believed in 2022 that TikTok could be used by China as a tool to monitor foreigners.

Article content

“TikTok, the People’s Republic of China’s (PRC) first Western-centric social media application, has the potential to be exploited by the PRC government to bolster its influence and power overseas, including in Canada,” reads the partly redacted CSIS “analytical brief”.

“The highly addictive short-video application, owned by PRC’s ByteDance, allows (redacted) access to sensitive user data. “Despite assurances to the contrary, personal data on TikTok users is accessible to China.”

The document notes that the app has “significant access” to sensitive user data such as facial geometry, iris scans and voice recognition, as well as users’ IP address and GPS location.

Earlier this year, then-CSIS Director David Vigneault told CBC News that he would “absolutely not recommend” anyone download the TikTok app because of the risks it poses.

In a blog post Wednesday, University of Ottawa professor Michael Geist said that the decision to ban TikTok Technologies Canada instead of the application outright would likely do more harm than good.

“There may well be good reasons to ban the app if it poses security and privacy risks that differ from those of other platforms, but banning the company rather than the app may actually make matters worse since the risks associated with the app will remain but the ability to hold the company accountable will be weakened,” Geist wrote.

National Post

cnardi@postmedia.com

Get more deep-dive National Post political coverage and analysis in your inbox with the Political Hack newsletter, where Ottawa bureau chief Stuart Thomson and political analyst Tasha Kheiriddin get at what’s really going on behind the scenes on Parliament Hill every Wednesday and Friday, exclusively for subscribers. Sign up here.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.

Share this article in your social network



Source link

Tags: CanadachampagneCloseNationalOrdersRisksSecurityTikTok
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
General Hospital’s Dominic Zamprogna Shares Message to Kelly Monaco After Her Exit – E! Online

General Hospital's Dominic Zamprogna Shares Message to Kelly Monaco After Her Exit - E! Online

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Journalist Shared “Sensitive” Defence Details With Foreign Countries: CBI

Journalist Shared “Sensitive” Defence Details With Foreign Countries: CBI

2 years ago
Kylian Mbappe makes feelings clear on PSG’s glory with immediate message

Kylian Mbappe makes feelings clear on PSG’s glory with immediate message

3 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In