• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

35 Killed, Over 40 Injured After Car Runs Over Pedestrians In China

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Business
35 Killed, Over 40 Injured After Car Runs Over Pedestrians In China
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter




Beijing:

A driver has killed 35 people and wounded 43 others in southern China, police said Tuesday, a day after the car ploughed down people exercising in a sports centre in the city of Zhuhai.

After the attack was reported on Monday, Police only said people had been wounded, while videos of the incident appeared to have been scrubbed from social media.

But on Tuesday, police said that a “serious and vicious attack” had occurred at Zhuhai Sports Centre, revealing the death count to be 35.

The 43 people wounded are not currently in life-threatening conditions.

Videos from Monday night geolocated by AFP showed people lying motionless on the ground, while others were seen frantically attempting to resuscitate the unconscious.

Preliminary investigations suggested that the 62-year-old driver, surnamed Fan, had been “triggered by (his) dissatisfaction with the division of property following his divorce”, the police said in a statement.

Fan drove “a small SUV through the gate and forced his way into the city’s sports centre, ramming people who were exercising on the internal roads of the sports centre”, the statement added.

He was “controlled on the spot by the police who rushed to the scene as he attempted to drive away”.

The police found Fan in his car cutting himself with a knife, before they stopped him and sent him to hospital.

He is currently in a coma after self-inflicted injuries to his neck and other parts of his body and unable to undergo interrogation, police added.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has urged “all-out efforts” to treat the people injured and has “demanded punishing the perpetrator in accordance with the law”, the official Xinhua news agency said.

Lying motionless

Graphic videos circulating on social media on Monday night showed the aftermath of the incident, though most had disappeared by Tuesday.

China’s largest airshow showcasing Beijing’s civil and military aerospace sector is being held in the same city at the moment.

On Chinese social media platform Xiaohongshu, users expressed their shock at the death count.

“Last night after work, when I watched the news, there weren’t this many people reported,” one user commented on a photo of the police statement released. “Tonight, suddenly seeing this number — so many families affected.”

In a safety alert, Japan’s embassy in China warned its citizens on Tuesday to be on high alert and “refrain from speaking loudly in Japanese and avoid provocative, attention-drawing behaviour such as being loud in groups”.

The embassy said it had no information that any Japanese citizens had been wounded in the attack.

China has seen a spate of violent public attacks in recent months.

A man killed three people and wounded 15 in a knife attack at a supermarket in the Chinese megacity of Shanghai in October.

In September, a Japanese schoolboy was stabbed in the southern city of Shenzhen and died of his injuries, prompting outrage from Tokyo.

And in July, police said a vehicle crashed into pedestrians in the central city of Changsha, killing eight.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)




Source link

Tags: 35 killed in chinaCarcar attack in chinaChinahit and run chinaInjuredKilledpedestriansRunszhuhai attackZhuhai sports centre
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Starlink In India Soon? Elon Musk Takes On Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio

Starlink In India Soon? Elon Musk Takes On Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Jio

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Italian Circus Says Escaped Lion Posed No Risk

Italian Circus Says Escaped Lion Posed No Risk

2 years ago
DSV sells new shares for 5 billion euros without discount for DB Schenker deal

DSV sells new shares for 5 billion euros without discount for DB Schenker deal

11 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In