• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Thursday, February 19, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Toronto library apologizes for not letting lost girl use their phone

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Health
Toronto library apologizes for not letting lost girl use their phone
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Breadcrumb Trail Links

  1. News
  2. Canada

The TPL has apologized for not letting Esther Kinch use the phone to call her mom after she ended up in an unfamiliar part of town

Published Dec 06, 2024  •  Last updated 23 minutes ago  •  4 minute read

You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.

Esther (left) and Megan Kinch. The 11-year-old, lost in Toronto last Friday, was refused when she asked to use a phone at a Toronto Public Library branch. Photo by Megan Kinch

Article content

The first subheading under “Equity” in the Toronto Public Library’s list of values is accessibility. Last week, a branch in the city’s east end may have failed to live up to the spirit of that code when staff refused a lost little girl’s request to call her mother.

Article content

Article content

The TPL has since apologized for the incident and said it was “simply not okay.”

Meanwhile, Megan Kinch, single mom to 11-year-old Esther, feels the incident points to a greater need for specific policies that recognize youth as a distinctly vulnerable population.

Advertisement 2

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

National Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Don’t have an account? Create Account

or

Article content

“We do need to think about safety for kids and their access to safety,” Kinch told the National Post this week.

”Instead of just freaking out about the Internet, we actually have to create ways that they can get help, and one of those spaces should be the library.”

‘None of that needed to happen’

With no school last Friday due to a professional activity day for teachers, Esther spent the day in a youth program.

When it ended two hours before schedule without Kinch’s prior knowledge, Esther was upset that her mother wasn’t there for pick-up, and phoned her from the site.

Kinch offered to come get Esther or suggested she make her way home independently, something the downtown Toronto kid had done on her own before.

“I was sort of giving some more detailed instructions on how to get home and also saying, ‘Are you sure you can do it? I’ll come get you,” Kinch said. “She got frustrated and hung up on me, and then I couldn’t call her back because it was from an institutional number.”

Esther then hopped on a streetcar on Dundas Street – going in the wrong direction.

Further complicating things, the Toronto Transit Commission vehicle was diverted from its normal route, bringing Esther to an unfamiliar neighbourhood.

Posted

NP Posted

Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Thanks for signing up!

A welcome email is on its way. If you don’t see it, please check your junk folder.

The next issue of NP Posted will soon be in your inbox.

We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try again

Article content

Advertisement 3

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

“When the streetcar ended up going over the highway, she realized that she was not where she was supposed to be and that’s why she got off,” Kinch explained.

Now on Broadview Avenue and getting worried, Esther, who had recently lost her emergency flip phone somewhere in her bedroom and had only a slip of paper with three numbers, couldn’t find anyone to let her use their phone.

So she went into the TPL’s nearby Riverdale Branch and asked to use theirs. The librarian behind the counter denied the request, stating it was against policy to let the public use their phones, and directed the girl to a payphone outside.

TPL Riverdale branch
The payphones lost 11-year-old Esther Kinch was directed to use when she went inside the Toronto Public Library’s Riverdale Branch to ask to use the phone. Photo by Google Street View

“She said that she didn’t know how to use the pay phone, that she needed help, and they said that they were closing at 5:00 p.m.,” Kinch recounted.

Esther had quarters and a debit card on her, but couldn’t figure out how to use the payphone.

Now visibly upset and with darkness encroaching, she eventually found a woman kind enough to let her call her mother and drop a location pin.

The pair were reunited not long after.

“None of that needed to happen,” Kinch said. “If the library had just called me when she went in there, I wouldn’t have even had to worry and she wouldn’t have had to worry.”

Advertisement 4

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

On X, Kinch’s post about the incident had piled up nearly 17 million views.

Some commenters have questioned why an 11-year-old was alone in Canada’s largest city, but Kinch hopes they’ll understand that it’s the norm for many middle-school-aged kids in the Toronto District School Board.

“My kid lives downtown and she would have found her way home walking,” Kinch said. “She had a plan to walk back over the bridge and I’m sure she would have ended up back in her familiar area if she did.”

‘Doesn’t align with our commitment to serving all community members’

Officials from TPL reached out on Monday night, long after several media outlets had already contacted Kinch, and offered a genuine apology. It was followed by a similarly contrite phone call the next day.

In an email to the National Post, TPL said what occurred “doesn’t align with our commitment to serving all community members, especially children, with care and compassion.”

“We view this as a very important opportunity to review and reinforce our staff training protocols to make sure nothing like this happens again. Keeping our community safe and welcome is at the heart of what we do.”

Advertisement 5

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Kinch doesn’t feel youth can be lumped in with the general public when it concerns policy decisions that could put their safety at risk.

In her daughter’s case, she said, it should have been clear that the girl had no intention of abusing phone use.

“But if one rogue employee is able to do that, it really shows a clear need for policy change and training for public libraries and maybe for other city staff who run other kinds of city entities.”

In a larger sense, Kinch believes youth have different needs than the general public, and that more advocacy is needed on their behalf.

As for Esther, she’s ready for the spotlight to switch off but is proud of the agency she helped establish for herself and hopefully other kids who might find themselves in a tough spot.

“She was powerless to a mean librarian who was a gatekeeper, but I think because of the public and the media she was able to take some of that power back and say ‘No. As a kid, I am powerful. People do care about us. You can’t just mess with us and get away with it, there is some accountability for treating kids badly.”

Esther Kinch
Esther Kinch in Kensington Market. Photo by Megan Kinch

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.

Article content

Share this article in your social network



Source link

Tags: ApologizesGirlLettingLibraryLostPhoneToronto
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Class 12 Student Shoots Principal Dead In School Toilet In Madhya Pradesh

Class 12 Student Shoots Principal Dead In School Toilet In Madhya Pradesh

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

LIV Golf star bags £43m as ex-Ryder Cup ace who beat McIlroy refuses prize money

LIV Golf star bags £43m as ex-Ryder Cup ace who beat McIlroy refuses prize money

7 months ago
“Want To End War But Not Sure If Russia Is Ready”: Zelensky

“Want To End War But Not Sure If Russia Is Ready”: Zelensky

9 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2026 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2026 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In