• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Carney’s campaign admits muddled messaging on pipelines, spending cuts

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Health
Carney’s campaign admits muddled messaging on pipelines, spending cuts
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Breadcrumb Trail Links

  1. News
  2. Canada
  3. Canadian Politics

The Liberal leadership candidate is facing scrutiny for saying one thing in English and something different in French

Published Feb 19, 2025  •  Last updated 47 minutes ago  •  4 minute read

You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.

Federal Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney speaks to party supporters in Hamilton, Ont., on Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2025. Photo by Ron Poling/The Canadian Press

Article content

OTTAWA – Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney’s campaign said it needs to “tighten up” his message after he said in English that he would use federal emergency powers to push major energy projects through traditional roadblocks if he were prime minister, but then told Quebecers in French that he would not impose any such projects on the province against its will.

Advertisement 2

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

National Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post and 15 news sites with one account.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Don’t have an account? Create Account

or

Article content

Article content

Article content

His campaign is also walking back comments Carney made in French about cutting federal social transfers. Earlier this month, he said he would focus on reducing “operational deficits” by cutting transfers to provinces and individuals. Then on Monday, in French again, he told a different interviewer he would never do such a thing.

Mark Carney has been clear that he wants to “build baby, build,” as he said in a speech in Kelowna, B.C. last week. He has said he wants to build housing, build a “trade corridor” with provinces and allies around the world, build clean energy projects, and yes, build energy infrastructure. He has said, in English, that he will let nothing stand in his way of building what the country needs.

“Something that my government will do is use all of the powers of the federal government, including the emergency powers of the federal government to accelerate the major projects that we need in order to build this economy and take on the Americans,” Carney said in his speech.

He told the CBC this weekend that if he were prime minister his government would specifically accelerate approvals for pipelines, after years of the federal Liberal government cancelling or blocking several pipeline proposals. “We as a nation need to build some new pipelines for conventional energy,” Carney said. He said he would do so “in consultation with provinces, with First Nations.”

First Reading

First Reading

Your guide to the world of Canadian politics. (Subscriber exclusive on Saturdays)

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Thanks for signing up!

A welcome email is on its way. If you don’t see it, please check your junk folder.

The next issue of First Reading will soon be in your inbox.

We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try again

Article content

Advertisement 3

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

And on Monday, he was more explicit: In a Radio-Canada interview, journalist Patrice Roy asked Carney if he was going to “impose a pipeline” on Quebec.

“I would never impose. Never,” he said.

Recommended from Editorial

He then said his government would use emergency powers at its disposal to accelerate projects that are in the “national interest” only with the support of the provinces and First Nations.

“I would never impose (a pipeline) on Quebec,” he said.

TC Energy’s Energy East pipeline proposal that would have shipped Alberta oil to New Brunswick was cancelled in 2017 the face of added federal regulatory hurdles and fierce opposition from Quebec politicians.

The apparent switch did not go unnoticed in Quebec and Ottawa, particularly among the Conservatives.

“Sneaky Carney said in English in B.C. that he would use federal emergency powers to force provinces to accept big projects. In French, he said he would not impose projects on reluctant provinces. Sneaky. Sneaky,” said Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre.

Advertisement 4

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Sneaky Carney said in BC in English that he will use emergency federal powers to force provinces to accept big projects.

In French, he says he will not force projects on unwilling provinces.

Sneaky. Sneaky. #JustlikeJustin pic.twitter.com/yJrdE2w2AD

— Pierre Poilievre (@PierrePoilievre) February 18, 2025

“Mark Carney talks out of both sides of his mouth,” added Conservative Quebec lieutenant Pierre Paul-Hus.

Carney’s spokesperson insisted there was no disconnect in the two messages, but acknowledged that Carney could have been clearer before giving the French interview. She said Carney has been briefed on “Quebec’s particularities.”

What Carney actually meant to say in English was that he would consult with the provinces to try to get things built.

“Look, we need to tighten up the message a little bit. But I want to be clear, Mr. Carney is not saying one thing to Quebec and another to the rest of Canada,” Audrey Champoux told the National Post.

In French, too, Carney has apparently meant to say one thing, and ended up saying something quite different.

In his first French-language interview in Quebec in early February, Carney told TVA: “We need to reduce operational deficits. This means, transfers to individuals, transfers to provinces … and all that,” he said.

But on Monday, in his Radio-Canada interview, he contradicted that. When Roy asked Carney if he was planning as prime minister to cut transfers, Carney said the opposite.

Advertisement 5

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

“The deficit is $60 billion. My question is: will you cut transfers to the provinces?,” asked Roy.

Carney said “no.”

“You do not cut transfers to individuals?” asked Roy.

“No,” said Carney.

His campaign team acknowledged that he should have been clearer on that point the first time around. Champoux added that the candidate had been asked to “refine his thinking” on transfers.

The Liberals will elect their new leader on March 9. Candidates include Carney, Chrystia Freeland, Karina Gould, Frank Baylis and Ruby Dhalla.

National Post
atrepanier@postmedia.com

Get more deep-dive National Post political coverage and analysis in your inbox with the Political Hack newsletter, where Ottawa bureau chief Stuart Thomson and political analyst Tasha Kheiriddin get at what’s really going on behind the scenes on Parliament Hill every Wednesday and Friday, exclusively for subscribers. Sign up here.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.

Article content

Share this article in your social network





Source link

Tags: AdmitsCampaignCarneysCutsMessagingmuddledpipelinesSpending
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Donald Trump Wants Romania To Ease Travel Restrictions On Andrew Tate: Report

Donald Trump Wants Romania To Ease Travel Restrictions On Andrew Tate: Report

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Jack Ma-backed Ant touts AI breakthrough built on Chinese chips

Jack Ma-backed Ant touts AI breakthrough built on Chinese chips

5 months ago
Allianz pull-out ‘provides clarity’ on Income’s special position

Allianz pull-out ‘provides clarity’ on Income’s special position

9 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In