• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Monday, February 16, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Finance minister says no 2025 budget, while government focuses on fall update

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Health
Finance minister says no 2025 budget, while government focuses on fall update
0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

[ad_1]

Finance minister says no 2025 budget, while government focuses on fall update

OTTAWA — Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne signalled Wednesday there will be no spring budget and only a fall economic statement, despite his predecessor announcing pre-budget consultations earlier this year.

Asked by reporters about the date of the next budget, Champagne said his first three orders of business are tabling a motion to cut the bottom income tax bracket by one per cent, presenting a speech to the throne on May 27 and then publishing an economic update in the fall.

He made no mention of a budget, nor did he respond to repeated questions as to why the government would not be tabling a spring budget.

“The middle-class tax cut, that’s step one. Step two, you’re going to have a throne speech which will outline the Canadian government’s priorities, and there will be a fall economic statement to follow,” Champagne said after the first cabinet meeting since the shuffle Tuesday.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said the decision not to table a budget is a sign that Carney is failing to deliver on his election campaign promises to Canadians.

“Parliament has already been shut down for nearly half a year. Now, in the face of serious economic threats, the Liberals don’t intend to present a budget this year. There is no roadmap forward, no economic vision, and no willingness to lead,” said Poilievre, in a written statement. “This is not the leadership Mark Carney promised—it’s abandonment.”

Champagne’s signalling that there will be no spring budget is notable because his predecessor, Dominic LeBlanc,

announced pre-budget consultations in February

. At the time, Justin Trudeau was still prime minister while the Liberal party was in the midst of a leadership race that ultimately crowned Mark Carney.

“Through Budget 2025, the government will remain focused on responding to the current Canada-U.S. context, making life more affordable for all Canadians, continuing to strengthen economic security, and unlocking growth by boosting our competitiveness and productivity,” read the release by Finance Canada announcing the consultation.

In December, the Commons Finance committee also tabled a

330-page report on the fruit

s of its 2025 budget consultations.

Champagne also clarified that Prime Minister Mark Carney’s election promise to cut the lowest income tax bracket rate by one per cent will be introduced through a ways and means motion within the first sitting days of the House of Commons, which reopens on May 26.

In a ceremony reminiscent of an U.S. presidential signing of an executive order, the

prime minister opened the cabinet room to TV cameras and photographers on Wednesday to film him publicly signing an order

directing his government to prepare a motion to deliver the promised tax cut.

“Canadians sent a clear message: they need to see improvements in their affordability,” Carney said. “We’re acting today on that so that on July 1, as promised, that middle class tax cut… will take into effect.”

Champagne said he expects opposition MPs to “obviously” support the government’s motion.

“This is about Canadians. You know, we are in a situation, it’s a dire situation,” Champagne said. “This is a way for all parliamentarian to show up and say, ‘Yes, we support Canadians at the time when they need a break’.”

The last time the government did not table a spring budget was 2020 at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March. At the time, the sudden shutdown of the Canadian economy laid waste to the Liberal government’s original spending plans.

Instead, the Trudeau-led Liberals tabled a “mini-budget” fall economic statement.

National Post

cnardi@postmedia.com

  • Guilbeault throws cold water on new pipeline, says we have enough already
  • Conservative MP says Carney should appoint a labour minister and pay more than ‘lip service’ to workers

Get more deep-dive National Post political coverage and analysis in your inbox with the Political Hack newsletter, where Ottawa bureau chief Stuart Thomson and political analyst Tasha Kheiriddin get at what’s really going on behind the scenes on Parliament Hill every Wednesday and Friday, exclusively for subscribers. Sign up here.

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our politics newsletter, First Reading, here.

[ad_2]

Source link

Tags: BudgetFallFinanceFocusesGovernmentMinisterUpdate
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Over 280 Illegal Religious Sites Removed In Anti-encroachment Drive In UP

Over 280 Illegal Religious Sites Removed In Anti-encroachment Drive In UP

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

“40% Commission Government” Allegation Back In Karnataka, With A Twist

“40% Commission Government” Allegation Back In Karnataka, With A Twist

2 years ago
Curtis Jones shares Mo Salah’s message to Liverpool dressing room after rant

Curtis Jones shares Mo Salah’s message to Liverpool dressing room after rant

2 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2026 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In