• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, November 30, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Technology

Trump approves expanding credits for US auto production, issues new 25% truck duties

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Technology
Trump approves expanding credits for US auto production, issues new 25% truck duties
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


The tariffs are aimed at shifting more auto production to America but could be a significant blow to Mexico

[WASHINGTON] US President Donald Trump on Friday (Oct 17) signed orders expanding credits for US auto and engine production and setting new 25 per cent tariffs on imported medium- and heavy-duty trucks and parts starting Nov 1.

The tariffs, which the orders say are being made on national security grounds, are aimed at shifting more auto production to the United States but could be a significant blow to Mexico, which is the largest exporter of medium- and heavy-duty trucks to the United States.

Trump is also setting a 10 per cent tariff on imported buses.

Trump’s order makes automakers eligible for a credit equal to 3.75 per cent of the suggested retail price for US assembled vehicles to 2030 to offset import tariffs on parts.

He is also extending the 3.75 per cent credit for US engine production and for US medium- and heavy-duty truck production.

The new tariffs cover all Class 3 through Class 8 trucks, including large pick-up trucks, moving trucks, cargo trucks, dump trucks, and tractors for 18-wheelers.

Trump last month said that the tariffs were to protect manufacturers from “unfair outside competition” and the move would benefit companies such as Paccar-owned Peterbilt and Kenworth and Daimler Truck-owned Freightliner.

The US Chamber of Commerce earlier urged Trump not to impose new truck tariffs, noting the top five import sources are Mexico, Canada, Japan, Germany, and Finland “all of which are allies or close partners of the United States posing no threat to US national security”.

Reuters first reported the details of the auto tariff action on Oct 3.

The order provides GM, Ford, Toyota Motor, Stellantis, Honda, Tesla, and other automakers with financial relief against tariffs paid on imported auto parts that were previously imposed by the Trump administration.

The Commerce Department said in June that it planned an import adjustment offset equal to 3.75 per cent of the suggested retail price for eligible US assembled vehicles to April 2026 and then a second year at 2.5 per cent to address tariffs from imported automobile parts.

The revised credit expands it to five years, keeps it at 3.75 per cent throughout and extends it to more parts, which makes it more valuable for automakers and could give companies more incentive to shift production, Republican Senator Bernie Moreno said.

Ford CEO Jim Farley said Trump’s order would help make auto parts affordable for US production and the new import tariffs on larger trucks would help level the playing field with imports.

In May, Trump imposed 25 per cent auto tariffs on more than US$460 billion worth of imports of vehicles and auto parts annually, but has since struck deals to reduce those tariffs on some countries, including Japan, the United Kingdom and the European Union.

The Commerce Department said in August that it was hiking steel and aluminium tariffs on more than 400 products, including numerous auto parts totalling US$240 billion in annual imports. The parts include automotive exhaust systems and steel needed for electric vehicles as well as components for buses.

GM said earlier this year that the company will face up to US$5 billion in gross tariff-related costs this year, while Ford cited a US$3 billion gross hit. REUTERS



Source link

Tags: ApprovesAutoCreditsDutiesExpandingIssuesProductionTruckTrump
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Access Denied

Access Denied

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

NDP MPs will have 'difficult discussions' about devastating election result

NDP MPs will have 'difficult discussions' about devastating election result

7 months ago
Florian Wirtz’s staggering Liverpool salary demands as talks reach crucial stage

Florian Wirtz’s staggering Liverpool salary demands as talks reach crucial stage

6 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In