• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, November 30, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Canadian border agency bars Bangladeshi man in ICE custody from re-entering Canada

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Health
Canadian border agency bars Bangladeshi man in ICE custody from re-entering Canada
0
SHARES
4
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



A Canadian refugee claimant who is in ICE custody after accidentally entering the U.S. is prohibited from re-entering the country, the Canada Border Services Agency says.

Mahin Shahriar, a 27-year-old Bangladeshi national and Canadian refugee claimant had been living in Canada since 2019, but says he inadvertently crossed the Canada-U.S. border in May and has been in ICE custody in Buffalo, N.Y. ever since.

The CBSA now says he is permanently barred from re-entering Canada without legal authorization.  

Shahriar’s lawyer, Washim Ahmed, a partner with OWS Law in Mississauga

,

says he is taking his client’s case before the Federal Court on Thursday. He is pursuing a judicial review application of the Canada Border Services Agency’s handling of his client’s refugee claim.

He told NP he is concerned his client will be returned to Bangladesh, where he could face imprisonment and possibly torture. In an Oct. 17 email to NP he wrote that his firm “

is in the process of obtaining certified court documents confirming these charges. These records … indicate that Mahin faces a serious … risk of imprisonment and torture if returned.”

Shahriar faces obstruction of justice charges for helping his mother and younger sister flee Bangladesh, Ahmed says. After his parents’ marriage broke down, he explains, Shahriar, his mother and sister fled to Canada.

Meanwhile, he says ICE may not have Mahin’s full case details, but they “are aware that he was a former refugee claimant in Canada and that his mother holds protected-person status here … ICE has explicitly confirmed that it would return him to Canada if CBSA authorizes the transfer — but CBSA has so far declined to do so.”

The CBSA has not provided its decision in Shahriar’s case, Ahmed says. “

Their refusal to provide reasons appears calculated to prevent us from seeking
appropriate legal
recourse.”

Ahmed says he will be seeking court orders compelling the CBSA to provide its decision, as well as cooperate with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to facilitate Shahriar’s return to Canada, he told the National Post in a second email on Tuesday, Oct. 21. He will also be asking the court to compel the CBSA to disclose all of its communication with ICE.

So, Shahriar “is in limbo,” Ahmed adds.

 A person is not allowed to apply in Canada and the U.S simultaneously, Ahmed explains.

“However, since Canada has not agreed to accept him, ICE intends to deport him to his country of citizenship, Bangladesh.” 

Shariar’s refugee claim has been complicated by him falling victim to a fraudulent immigration consultant, says Ahmed. His claim was rejected because of that. Before his ICE detention, Ahmed says he was preparing a Humanitarian and Compassionate application for permanent residence and intended to include evidence of the fraud that tainted the refugee claim.

The Post reached out to the CBSA for comment and the first emailed response, received on Oct. 17 from

CBSA spokesperson Rebecca Purdy

, states that information about Shahriar’s case could not be provided because of federal privacy law.

Instead, Purdys aid that the “CBSA is not responsible for a person’s decision to leave Canada and does not intervene on behalf of foreign nationals who are later subject to immigration enforcement after having entered another country.”

A more detailed CBSA response was emailed to the Post on Oct. 19 from

Luke Reimer, senior communications office

r with the CBSA.

Reimer stated that Shahriar’s refugee claim was heard by the Refugee Protection Division and later its Refugee Appeal Division of Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB). They “found him not to be in need of protection. His request for leave to pursue a judicial review of this decision was dismissed by the Federal Court.”

The latter comment seems to contradict Ahmed’s position.

Further, Reimer wrote, “The CBSA had already initiated removal proceedings when Mr. Shahriar left Canada of his own accord. Having done so, Mr. Shahriar waived the right to any further recourse that could stay his removal, as he was now already outside Canada.

“With evidence that Mr. Shahriar was no longer in Canada, the CBSA administratively enforced his removal order …  Canada has no obligation to accept Mr. Shahriar’s return, and he is permanently barred from re-entering Canada without an authorization to return.”

Reimer did not state whether these same arguments will be made during the Federal Court hearing on Thursday.

The Post contacted the ICE office in Buffalo for detailed comment, but none was forthcoming. Instead, an email was sent last week stating “we cannot share any details with you about another person” without proper legal documentation.

  • Union calls on Liberals to allow CBSA to patrol entire border, but LeBlanc says it’s not a priority
  • Inside the sprawling online industry selling fake Canadian visas and human smuggling services

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Source link

Tags: AgencyBangladeshiBarsBorderCanadaCanadianCustodyIceManreentering
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Access Denied

Access Denied

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Fan Invades Pitch, Hugs Virat Kohli In Massive Security Breach During Cricket World Cup 2023 Final | Cricket News

Fan Invades Pitch, Hugs Virat Kohli In Massive Security Breach During Cricket World Cup 2023 Final | Cricket News

2 years ago
Urge US To “Completely Cancel” Reciprocal Tariffs: China

Urge US To “Completely Cancel” Reciprocal Tariffs: China

8 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In