• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Trump, Carney face each other for the first time after fallout over Ontario's anti-tariff ad

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Health
Trump, Carney face each other for the first time after fallout over Ontario's anti-tariff ad
0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter



Donald Trump may not have wanted to meet with Mark Carney “for a while,” but the U.S. President had no choice but to face the Canadian Prime Minister at a state dinner in South Korea on Wednesday.

The two world leaders are in the country this week for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in the city of Gyeongju, where South Korean President Lee Jae Myung held a separate special dinner in honour of Trump and other state leaders.

Carney was among the invitees at the event and was seated opposite Trump at a table that also included leaders from Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore, as reported by

Bloomberg.

Upon his arrival, Carney was asked if he had a message for the president and responded by pointing to Lee and saying, “I have a message for this president,” according to The

Canadian Press,

who noted that he and Trump smiled and pointed at one another as they sat down.

 (L-R) Australia’s Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, US President Donald Trump, South Korea’s President Lee Jae Myung, Vietnam’s President Luong Cuong, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Christopher Luxon, and Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney pose for a family photo upon their arrival for a special dinner hosted in honour of US President Donald Trump and state leaders at the Hilton Gyeongju hotel in Gyeongju on October 29, 2025.

Asked by

Global News

if he spoke to Trump over their meal, Carney said they had “a very good conversation.”

Earlier in the day, as Air Force One was touching down at Gimhae International Airport, Trump said talks with Canada weren’t part of his itinerary.

“For those that are asking, we didn’t come to South Korea to see Canada,”

he wrote on Truth Social on Wednesday morning.

The relationship between the two world leaders turned frosty last Thursday after Ontario’s anti-tariff ad campaign using a 1987 Ronald Reagan radio address went live. Trump “

terminated

” trade talks late last week, called the ad “fake” and accused Canada of cheating.

“Canada is trying to illegally influence the United States Supreme Court in one of the most important rulings in the history of our Country,” he said, referring to a pending decision on the legalities of the tariffs his administration has applied to imported goods.

The next day, Ontario Premier Doug Ford, following a chat with Carney, said the campaign was paused, but not until it aired during the first two games of the World Series this past weekend.

That, too, drew Trump’s ire and led him to call for an additional 10 per cent tariff on Canada

“over and above what they are paying now.”

He has yet to clarify when the increased levy will take effect and to which goods it will apply, nor has the Canadian government been informed, according to Carney.

Speaking to reporters in Malaysia

the following day, Carney said Canada was ready to sit down with the U.S. officials to continue making “considerable progress in the areas of steel, aluminum and energy.” He also suggested a deal was close and that some term sheets had been exchanged.

 Thailand’s Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, Singapore’s Prime Minister Lawrence Wong, Australia’s Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, US President Donald Trump, South Korea’s President Lee Jae Myung, Vietnam’s President Luong Cuong, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Christopher Luxon, and Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney attend a special dinner hosted in honour of US President Donald Trump and state leaders at the Hilton Gyeongju hotel in Gyeongju on October 29, 2025.

Monday morning, however, Trump said he had no desire to meet with Carney any time soon.

“No, I’m not going to be meeting with them for a while,”

he said.

“I’m very happy with the deal we have right now with Canada. We’re going to let it ride.”

Also on Monday,

Doug Ford defended

the ad and said the prime minister and his chief of staff saw it before it began airing on Oct. 14. The goal wasn’t to “poke the president” in the eye, he said, but to warn Americans of the dangers of tariffs and protectionism on both economies.

“Do you know why President Trump’s so upset right now? Because it was effective. It was working. It woke up the whole country,” Ford told reporters at Queen’s Park in Toronto.

  • ‘Cheese slipped off the cracker’: Ford calls on U.S. ambassador to apologize for profane rant against Ontario official
  • Poilievre says Carney ‘approved’ Ontario’s anti-tariff ad that Trump said ended trade talks

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.



Source link

Tags: antitariffCarneyFaceFalloutOntario039sTimeTrump
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Access Denied

Access Denied

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Access Denied

Access Denied

3 months ago
Prince Louis Adorably Steals the Show at Trooping the Colour Parade – E! Online

Prince Louis Adorably Steals the Show at Trooping the Colour Parade – E! Online

2 years ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2026 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In