Elliot Lee has been a key player for Wrexham in recent years but he could be set to leave the club in January after being ruled out for 12 weeks with a knee injury
A Wrexham star could have played his final match for the club following a crushing injury setback. Elliot Lee has been a crucial player for the Red Dragons since arriving on a free transfer in July 2022, helping them secure three successive promotions from the National League to the Championship.
However, the 30-year-old midfielder is yet to feature in a league fixture in the second tier for Phil Parkinson‘s team this campaign, despite making three appearances in the Carabao Cup. The former Luton player has slipped down the hierarchy following the summer arrivals of Wrexham’s record signing Nathan Broadhead from Ipswich, alongside ex-Sheffield Wednesday forward Josh Windass.
The Welsh club have now revealed that Lee, who remains tied to a deal until summer 2027, faces 12 weeks on the sidelines after undergoing knee surgery. With the Daily Mail suggesting he could depart in the January transfer window having caught the eye of multiple League One clubs, it might signal the conclusion of his three-year spell at the Racecourse Ground.
Speaking about Lee’s predicament, Parkinson told The Leader: “Elliot’s had an operation on his knee. He had a problem for a while with that, he saw a specialist last week and they decided to have an operation so he’s going to be out for 12 weeks unfortunately, but it gives him a chance to get that right.
“It’s something which has been niggling away with him and he’s tried to carry on with it, but he got to the point last week where we sent him to get a second opinion and the specialist decided that to get him right, he probably did need surgery.”
READ MORE: Wrexham handed fresh promotion verdict with ace in the hole for Premier League dreamREAD MORE: Wrexham’s last-minute transfer deal proves value for money after Ryan Reynolds’ £33m spree
Lee, son of Newcastle legend Rob Lee, has netted an impressive 41 goals in just over 150 appearances for Wrexham across all competitions. His potential exit would be a bitter pill to swallow for fans, especially after club icon Paul Mullin left to join Wigan on loan during the summer, while his strike partner Ollie Palmer made a permanent move to Swindon.
The former West Ham youth player’s dad previously shared how his son chose to drop several divisions to sign for Wrexham, despite having the option to stay in the EFL. Lee senior revealed it was a persuasive intervention by the club’s Hollywood co-owner Ryan Reynolds that convinced his son to make the switch.
Speaking to the Mirror, he said: “He had other offers from the EFL but I jokingly said to him because he is a huge Ryan Reynolds fan, and he absolutely loves Deadpool, what would happen if Ryan rings you with an offer?”.
Watch the new season of Welcome to Wrexham on Disney+

Welcome to Wrexham is back on Disney+ for a fourth season. Fans can watch the series with a £4.99 monthly plan, or get 12 months for the price of 10 by paying for a year upfront.
“I was just messing about. He said there was no way he was dropping down into the National League. A couple of days later his agent rang me and coincidentally said Wrexham had come in for him and should he bother telling Elliot.
“I said he had to tell him. Then Phil Parkinson started ringing him. Phil kept reassuring him about the club’s ambitions and then Ryan Reynolds followed him on Instagram. He eventually agreed to join.”
He added: “It was a bit of a gamble but he has always liked a challenge. It was similar to when he joined Luton Town and they went up through the leagues. I think he sees similarities with what happened there at Wrexham.”
Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.



