• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, November 30, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Technology

Google hit by fresh EU probe into suspected news search abuse

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Technology
Google hit by fresh EU probe into suspected news search abuse
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


There are suspicions that it is pushing down results for publishers’ websites when they include content from commercial partners

[BRUSSELS] Google is under investigation by the European Union antitrust watchdogs.

This is over concerns that it unfairly demotes some news results in a probe that risks adding to its 9.5 billion euros (S$14.4 billion) EU fines tally, and worsening fraught relations with the Trump administration.

The European Commission said on Thursday (Nov 13) that it suspects the Alphabet unit may be violating the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA), by pushing down results for publishers’ websites when they include content from commercial partners. 

“We will investigate to ensure that news publishers are not losing out on important revenues at a difficult time for the industry,” EU competition chief Teresa Ribera said. 

Under the guise of its “site reputation abuse policy”, the commission said that Google appears to “directly impact a common and legitimate way for publishers to monetise their websites and content”.

The EU’s antitrust arm aims to conclude its probe within 12 months, potentially paving the way for fines as high as 10 per cent of global annual sales, if any negative findings are not addressed. 

In a blog post, Google Search chief scientist Pandu Nayak said that the EU investigation into what Google calls its anti-spam efforts is “entirely misguided and risks harming millions of European users”.

The company argues that its policy is needed to prevent paid-for third-party material on publishers’ websites from appearing higher up on the search results than is merited.

The fresh probe comes on the heels of a September fine of almost three billion euros against Google, for allegedly favouring its own advertising technology services over rivals, which provoked the ire of US President Donald Trump, who slammed the fine as “discriminatory”. 

That September penalty follows a 4.1 billion euro Android penalty, and a 2.4 billion euro fine for crushing shopping search rivals. A 1.5 billion euro AdSense levy was annulled last year.

Furthermore, Google continues to face broader scrutiny under the DMA in Brussels.

The law came onto the EU’s books in 2023, and is designed to clip the wings of the world’s largest technology platforms with a slew of dos and don’ts. 

In a separate case, the company was chastised earlier this year for allegedly breaching the regulation by favouring in-house services across its sprawling search empire.

It was also admonished for preventing app developers from steering consumers to offers outside its Play Store – accusations for which it has since attempted to find solutions to, while the threat of further fines looms large. BLOOMBERG

Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.



Source link

Tags: AbuseFreshGoogleHitNewsProbeSearchSuspected
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Taylor Frankie Paul Teases Bachelorette Contestant’s Elimination Ahead of Premiere

Taylor Frankie Paul Teases Bachelorette Contestant’s Elimination Ahead of Premiere

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

See Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson’s Sweetest Family Moments Before Their Split – E! Online

See Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson’s Sweetest Family Moments Before Their Split – E! Online

11 months ago
RHODubai’s Sara Al Madani Reveals Ex Maid Allegedly Plotted With Kidnappers to Take Her Son for Ransom – E! Online

RHODubai’s Sara Al Madani Reveals Ex Maid Allegedly Plotted With Kidnappers to Take Her Son for Ransom – E! Online

1 year ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In