Chelsea are set to face Arsenal in a huge game at the top of the Premier League this weekend
Chelsea are preparing for a massive clash against Arsenal this weekend. The Blues are full of confidence after their statement 3-0 victory over Barcelona and are aiming for another huge home win against the Gunners.
Enzo Maresca’s side sit second in the Premier League table, six points behind leaders Arsenal. A win at Stamford Bridge would see Chelsea halve that gap and truly push themselves into the title race.
Chelsea have won five of their last six league games and will be aiming to end Arsenal’s 16-match unbeaten run. Mikel Arteta’s side are also riding high after defeating Bayern Munich in midweek, adding to the excitement around Sunday’s game.
Maresca will hope to end Chelsea’s poor record against Arsenal, with the club winning just one of their last 12 meetings. Here, Mirror Football takes a look at some of the headlines surrounding Chelsea.
Maresca gives Declan Rice verdict
One of the key battles in the match is expected to be between Moises Caicedo and Declan Rice in midfield. Rice was previously part of Chelsea’s youth academy but was released as a teenager, later joining West Ham United before being sold to Arsenal in 2023.
READ MORE: Cole Palmer’s status for Arsenal game revealed in latest Chelsea injury updateREAD MORE: The Moises Caicedo vs Declan Rice debate must stop – there is no comparison
Asked whether Caicedo and Rice were the league’s two best midfielders, Maresca said: “I think the Premier League is full of good players, very good midfielders. As you said, Moises, Declan, Rodri from City, [Elliot] Anderson from Nottingham Forest, [Bruno] Guimaraes from Newcastle. I think the Premier League is full of very good midfielders.”
While there has been plenty of discourse around the potential duel between Rice and Caicedo, Maresca took a different view during his pre-match press conference. “It’s a big part but it’s not the only one,” Maresca said of their midfield battle.
“I think it’s 11v11, the ones that go on from the bench. The big picture is not just one part of the picture. It’s a big game, first versus second.”
Cucurella ‘hurt’ by Barcelona exit
Marc Cucurella would have savoured Chelsea’s triumph over Barcelona more than most, given his past ties to the Catalan club. The left-back came through the famed La Masia academy but made just one first team appearance before being sold to Getafe in 2020.
“Not being given the opportunity hurts a little,” Cucurealla told Sport when asked about his time at Barcelona. “I felt bad, but it helped me grow a lot.
“Everything I’ve achieved so far, perhaps, if the decision had been different, I wouldn’t have achieved everything I have now.”
After his spell with Getafe, Cucurella joined Brighton and was subsequently snapped up by Chelsea in 2022. The 27-year-old has since won the Club World Cup and Europa Conference League, while also being a key player in the Spain side that clinched Euro 2024.
Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle ahead of the 2025/26 season, saving members £192 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.
Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games next season, an increase of up to 100 more.



