• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Friday, February 20, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Entertainment Sports

Jose Mourinho’s full striking comments on Vinicius Jr racism allegation

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Sports
Jose Mourinho’s full striking comments on Vinicius Jr racism allegation
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Real Madrid players left the field and play was halted for 10 minutes during their Champions League clash with Benfica on Tuesday evening after Vinicius Junior reported alleged racist abuse from Gianluca Prestianni

06:41, 18 Feb 2026Updated 06:52, 18 Feb 2026

Jose Mourinho has claimed that “something happens” in every stadium Vinicius Junior plays in, after the Real Madrid player alleged that he had been racially abused by Gianluca Prestianni on Tuesday evening. Play was halted for around 10 minutes as the Brazilian and his team-mates left the field in the second-half of the Champions League clash with Benfica.

Vini Jr gave his side the lead 50 minutes into the fixture at the Estadio da Luz, before dancing by the corner flag in front of home supporters. Before the match continued, the winger exchanged words with Prestianni, before reporting him to the referee after an alleged racist comment.

As tensions inside the stadium flared, Mourinho was seen speaking with Real Madrid players, including Vini Jr and Kylian Mbappe. And the Portuguese head coach gave his take on matters at full-time, in an interview with Amazon Prime.

READ MORE: Trent Alexander-Arnold slams alleged racist abuse of Vinicius Junior – ‘A disgrace’READ MORE: Jose Mourinho SENT OFF after furious outburst in Real Madrid v Benfica clash

Mourinho said: “It should be the crazy moment of the game, an amazing goal in a good game. These talents are able to do these beautiful things but unfortunately he [Vinicius] was not just happy to score that astonishing goal and then the game was over. When you score a goal like that you celebrate in a respectful way.”

The Portuguese head coach was then asked if he believed that Vinicius Jr ‘incited’ the home crowd and players with his celebration, to which, he responded: “Yeah, I believe so. The words they exchange, Prestianni with Vinicius, I want to be independent. I don’t comment about it.”

Mourinho then explained what he was spotted speaking Vini Jr about during the break in play, adding: “I told him that when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back. And then when he was arguing about racism I told him the biggest person in the history of this club was black [Eusebio]. This club, the last thing it is is racist, so if in his mind it was something in relation to that, this is Benfica.”

In a shocking turn of phrase, the 63-year-old then claimed that there’s controversy pertaining to Vini Jr in “every stadium” he plays in. He continued: “There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium.

Content cannot be displayed without consent

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! Latest news, analysis and much more on Mirror Football’s Facebook page

“Every stadium that Vinicius plays [in] something happens. Always. I’m saying that it was a good 50 minutes of football, millions of people watching around the world, a crazy goal absolutely crazy goal and then game over.”

It comes as Vini Jr has also released his own statement in the aftermath of the 1-0 win over Benfica in the first leg of the Champions League play-off knockouts. He said: “Racists are, above all, cowards.

“They need to put their shirts in their mouths to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them.

“Nothing that happened today is new in my life or in my team’s life. I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. I still don’t understand why.

“On the other hand, it was just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose. I don’t like to appear in situations like this, especially after a big win and when the headlines should be about Real Madrid, but it’s necessary.”

Elsewhere, Prestianni has also broken his silence on the claims he directed racist abuse toward Vini Jr. He said: “I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard. I was never racist with anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players.”

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings.

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
Content Image

£43

£35

Sky

Get the deal here

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle ahead of the 2025/26 season, saving members £192 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.

Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games next season, an increase of up to 100 more.



Source link

Tags: AllegationBenficaChampions LeagueCommentsFullJoseJose MourinhoMourinhosRacismRacism in footballReal Madrid CFStrikingViniciusVinicius Junior
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Access Denied

Access Denied

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

PM Modi’s 100th Mann Ki Baat Address Today To Go Global, Live: 10 Points

PM Modi’s 100th Mann Ki Baat Address Today To Go Global, Live: 10 Points

3 years ago
23andMe Says Hackers Saw Data From Millions Of Users

23andMe Says Hackers Saw Data From Millions Of Users

2 years ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2026 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2026 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In