• About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
The NY Journals
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
  • Home
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Trending
No Result
View All Result
The NY Journals
No Result
View All Result
Home Technology

Oil settles down US$2, posting weekly loss as Middle East risk premium fades

by Sarkiya Ranen
in Technology
Oil settles down US, posting weekly loss as Middle East risk premium fades
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


OIL prices settled down more than US$2 a barrel on Friday (Feb 21), posting a weekly decline as investors grappled with a fading Middle East risk premium alongside uncertainty about a potential peace deal in Ukraine.

Brent futures settled down US$2.05, or 2.7 per cent, at US$74.43 a barrel, while US West Texas Intermediate crude settled down US$2.08, or 2.9 per cent, at US$70.40.

Brent settled 0.4 per cent down on the week, while US crude futures posted a 0.5 per cent weekly loss.

“There is a risk-off tone here,” said John Kilduff, a partner at Again Capital in New York, also citing relative calm in the Middle East as the Gaza ceasefire holds.

Investors also continued to weigh an uptick in US crude oil stockpiles, reported on Thursday, as seasonal maintenance at refineries led to lower processing, the Energy Information Administration said.

US energy firms this week added oil and natural gas rigs for a fourth week in a row to the highest level since June, energy services firm Baker Hughes said in a report on Friday.

BT in your inbox

Start and end each day with the latest news stories and analyses delivered straight to your inbox.

The oil and gas rig count, an early indicator of future output, rose by four to 592 in the week to Feb 21.

Traders’ focus was also on oil supply disruption however, capping some losses. Russia said Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) oil flows, a major route for crude exports from Kazakhstan, were reduced by 30 to 40 per cent on Tuesday after a Ukrainian drone attack on a pumping station.

But oil flows from Kazakhstan’s Tengiz oil field via CPC are uninterrupted, Russian news agency Interfax reported on Friday, citing Tengizchevroil.

Kazakhstan has pumped record high oil volumes despite damage to its CPC export route via Russia, industry sources said on Thursday. It was not immediately clear how Kazakhstan had been able to pump record volumes.

The Ukrainian drone attack helped support crude prices this week, said Alex Hodes, analyst at StoneX in a note on Friday, also pointing to analysts’ expectation that the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries Plus will delay its production cut once again, in light of crude prices remaining below US$80 per barrel.

Elsewhere, relations between Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and US President Donald Trump deteriorated this week after Zelenskiy criticised US and Russian moves to negotiate a peace deal without Kyiv’s involvement. The rift was widened by Trump comments blaming Ukraine for starting the three-year-old conflict.

Yet after a meeting with Trump’s envoy for the Ukraine conflict on Thursday, Zelenskiy said Ukraine was ready to work quickly to produce a strong agreement with the US on investments and security.

“Trump keeps hammering Ukraine and the market is taking that as a potential easing of sanctions on Russia, and Russian oil flows coming back to the market,” said Again Capital’s Kilduff.

On the demand front, JPMorgan analysts expect cold weather in the US and a post-holiday increase to industrial activity in China to contribute more demand in the coming week. REUTERS



Source link

Tags: EastFadesLossMiddleOilPostingPremiumRiskSettlesUS2Weekly
Sarkiya Ranen

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Next Post
Chris Selley: Fantasy election platforms are still essential documents

Chris Selley: Fantasy election platforms are still essential documents

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Bangladesh Police Arrest Opposition Members Over Train Fire

Bangladesh Police Arrest Opposition Members Over Train Fire

2 years ago
The fall of François Legault

The fall of François Legault

1 year ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    The NY Journals pride themselves on assembling a proficient and dedicated team comprising seasoned journalists and editors. This collective commitment drives us to provide our esteemed readership with nothing short of the most comprehensive, accurate, and captivating news coverage available.

    Transcending the bounds of New York City to encompass a broader scope, we ensure that our audience remains well-informed and engaged with the latest developments, both locally and beyond.

    NEWS

    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Real Estate
    Instagram Youtube

    © 2025 The New York Journals. All Rights Reserved.

    • About Us
    • Advertise
    • Contact Us
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Trending

    Copyright © 2023 The Nyjournals

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In