Government rough sleeping funding may not ‘be enough’ to tackle problem, says Burnham – UK politics live

Government rough sleeping funding may not ‘be enough’ to tackle problem, says Burnham – UK politics live


Burnham admits goverment money ‘may not fully be enough’ to get rough sleepers off the streets for Christmas

Andy Burnham has admitted government funding “may not fully be enough” to achieve his aim of offering a place to stay to every rough sleeper by Christmas, as he made a “rallying call” for communities to get behind his plan.

Speaking on a visit to the north-east of England, the prime minister said:

double quotation markThe government money itself may not fully be enough. So I am saying, putting the call out to community and voluntary organisations – we’re at one here in Newcastle today, doing fantastic work.

But we’re saying to the wider community, voluntary, and faith sector: come on, let’s get behind this. Let’s show what Britain can do when we all pull in the same direction.

He added:

double quotation markWe did it in the pandemic, we can do it again, and it’s a rallying call, really, that I’m putting out there today with a lot of government money behind it.

Burnham also defended his previous record on homelessness in Greater Manchester, saying:

double quotation markWe did bring the numbers right down, but because we were the only area providing a high level of support, more people started to travel and it became difficult.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Matthew Weaver

Andy Burnham has warned of the dangers of open-water swimming as he called the deaths of a mother, father and their teenage daughter who got into difficulty in water off Sussex “a terrible family tragedy”.

The prime minister expressed his sympathies as a young girl from the same family remained in a critical condition in hospital.

There was a huge emergency service response to the incident in Shoreham-by-Sea on Tuesday afternoon, when police were told four people had got into difficulty in the water.

Sussex police said they believed all four entered the water to swim. Ch Supt James Collis confirmed that a man, woman and a teenage girl had died at the scene. A younger girl from the same family was taken to hospital in a critical condition, Collis said.

Officers have not named the victims but said their next of kin had been informed and were being supported by specialist officers.

Asked if the government needed to do more on water safety, Burnham said: “Always. It’s so sad to hear what happened yesterday, and obviously we think there’s a young girl still in the hospital fighting for her life, and we send our best wishes and love to wider friends and family. But a real tragedy, a real terrible family tragedy.”



Source link

Posted in

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Leave a Comment