Middle East crisis live: Iran says it shot down US fighter jet, warns against UN vote on ‘defensive force’ in strait of Hormuz

Middle East crisis live: Iran says it shot down US fighter jet, warns against UN vote on ‘defensive force’ in strait of Hormuz


Iran armed forces says US fighter jet shot down over Iran

Iran has said a second US F-35 fighter jet has been shot down over Iran, with the state news agency saying it’s unlikely the pilot survived, Reuters reports.

The incident comes as Iran has been firing on targets across the Middle East, on Friday, including firing missiles at Israel and Bahrain, and setting alight an oil refinery in Kuwait with drone attacks.

Last month, the US military said in a statement that a US F-35 aircraft conducted an emergency landing after flying a combat mission over Iran. The military said the pilot of that jet was in stable condition.

A spokesperson for Iran’s Khatam al-Anbiya central HQ said on Friday the second F-35 jet was shot down over central Iran by Revolutionary Guard air defences, with low chances of pilot survival, Reuters reported.

There was no immediate comment from the US, and the Guardian has not been able to confirm the report.

A flight of F-35 fighter jets earlier this year. Photograph: Andrew Leyden/ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock
Share

Updated at 

Key events

Javad Zarif shared his peace plan in a post on X, writing:

double quotation markAs an Iranian, outraged by Donald Trump’s reckless aggression & crude insults, yet proud of our armed forces & resilient people, I am torn about publishing this peace-plan in Foreign Affairs. Yet I’m convinced that war must end on terms consistent with Iran’s national interests.



Source link

Posted in

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Leave a Comment