Trump threatens to withdraw US troops from Italy and Spain – Europe live

Trump threatens to withdraw US troops from Italy and Spain – Europe live


Morning opening: Trump threatens Italy, Spain with pulling out US troops

Jakub Krupa

Italy and Spain have joined a growing list of countries that US president Donald Trump is threatening with pulling US troops from as part of a broader review of the US military presence in Europe.

US president Donald Trump gestures during a press conference at a Nato summit in The Hague, Netherlands.
US president Donald Trump gestures during a press conference at a Nato summit in The Hague, Netherlands. Photograph: Yves Herman/Reuters

Responding to a question from a reporter, Trump said he would “probably” consider such a move, linking it to the two countries’ criticism of the US campaign in Iran.

“Look, why shouldn’t I? Italy has not been of any help to us and Spain has been horrible, absolutely horrible.”

Both countries have been vocally critical of Trump’s war in the Middle East, with the US president repeatedly taking aim at their leadership for refusing to join the conflict.

Italy’s Giorgia Meloni, previously a close ally, fell out with the US president over Rome’s unwillingness to join the conflict – she “lacked courage,” Trump said – as well as her criticism of Trump’s “unacceptable” comments about Pope Leo.

She also denied the use of an airbase in Sicily to US military planes carrying weapons for the war in Iran after the US did not follow the required authorisation procedure.

Meanwhile, Spain’s Pedro Sánchez has been the most vocal European critic of the war from the very outset, repeatedly facing all sorts of angry reactions and threats from Trump in response, including of a trade embargo or a suspension of Nato membership (which is not even really a thing, really).

They know join Germany’s Friedrich Merz who was the prime target of Trump’s frustration in recent days, getting harshly criticised for his domestic record on energy and migration, involvement in the Russian aggression on Ukraine, and Iran.

Who’s next in the Trump lottery? Join us this Friday to see for yourself.

Let’s see if we are going to get any reactions from Rome or Madrid, or perhaps some other countries who previously stood resolutely behind the allies in the face of Trump’s threat.

Elsewhere, I will bring you the latest on the EU-Mercosur trade agreement which becomes provisionally applicable today, and on the 1st of May marches and demonstrations across Europe.

It’s Friday, 1 May 2026, it’s Jakub Krupa here, and this is Europe Live.

Good morning.

Key events

EU’s controversial Mercosur deal provisionally enters into force

In more serious news, the European Union’s mammoth trade deal with South American bloc Mercosur provisionally enters into force today, despite a pending court ruling on its legality, AFP noted.

The agreement to create one of the world’s biggest free-trade zones was sealed in January after more than 25 years of intermittent negotiations. Together, the EU and Mercosur account for 30 percent of global GDP and more than 700 million consumers.

But the agreement has, as AFP puts it, “proven divisive” in Europe, or, more accurately, it led to major protests in several EU countries in recent months.

Clashes between protesters and riot police at the entrance to the European Parliament in Brussels, Belgium. Photograph: Raphaël Lafargue/ABACA/Shutterstock
Spanish farmers protest with tractors against EU-Mercosur trade deal and the economic pressures facing the agricultural sector, in downtown Madrid, Spain. Photograph: Óscar del Pozo/AFP/Getty Images
Farmers from across Europe react after the European Parliament voted on whether to refer the EU-Mercosur trade agreement to the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), in Strasbourg, France. Photograph: Yves Herman/Reuters

The application of the deal comes after the European parliament referred it to the EU’s top court in January, instead of giving it the green light, AFP noted.

But the European Commission’s president, Ursula von der Leyen, welcomed the deal today, saying it will “show the agreement’s tangibler benefits,” and insisting that “legitimate” sensitivities in the EU had been addressed.



Source link

Posted in

Sarkiya Ranen

I am an editor for Ny Journals, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Leave a Comment